Functions of the liver
BIO 120 Liver 010 by djneight on flickr
Here are a couple of presentations for you. Functions of the liver and this one. You should be able to:
- Outline the circulation of blood through liver tissue, including the hepatic artery, hepatic portal vein, sinusoids and hepatic vein.
- Explain the role of the liver in regulating levels of nutrients in the blood.
- Outline the role of the liver in the storage of nutrients, including carbohydrate, iron, vitamin A and vitamin D.
- State that the liver synthesizes plasma proteins and cholesterol.
- State that the liver has role in detoxification.
- Describe the process of erythrocyte and hemoglobin breakdown in the liver, including phagocytosis, digestion of globin and bile pigment formation.
- Explain the liver damage caused by excessive alcohol consumption.
Tags: alcohol, cholesterol, detoxification, liver, option H