bones of the elbow and forearm, anterior view by robswatski on flickr
In this section we’ll take a look at the musculo-skeletal system.
We’ll talk about the various functions of the skeleton and the different types of joints that exist in the body.
We’ll focus on the elbow joint, and learn the detailed structure and how it flexes (bends) and extends (straightens).
We’ll talk about antagonistic muscle pairs and understand why two muscles are needed to operate a joint.
And finally, we’ll dissect a pig’s trotter to try and identify some of the parts we’ve been discussing.
To demonstrate your understanding, you will be asked to select one of the following assessments to complete:
- WRITE a description of how the knee bends and straightens. Include details of named bones and muscles to convey your understanding.
- DRAW an annotated diagram/picture to illustrate how the knee bends and straightens. Include details of named bones and muscles to convey your understanding.
- MAKE a model of a knee joint that can bend and straighten and be able to explain how it works and why you have chosen the materials you used.
- ACT out a scene that demonstrates your understanding of how the knee joint bends and straightens.
- Use TECHNOLOGY to create a Comic Life strip to explain how the knee bends and straightens.