We are going to learn about populations and what affects them. In particular:
- How is population size affected by natality, mortality, immigration and emigration?
- What does a typical population growth curve look like?
- What are the reasons for the exponential, plateau and transitional phases?
- What is the carrying capacity of an environment?
- What factors limit populations from increasing indefinitely?
And we are going to use the Lincoln Index to estimate the size of a population of kidney beans. This is a simulation exercise, with the beans representing organisms such as woodlice. But the beans don’t move, so are a bit more collaborative 🙂