Our new unit is about OCEANS. In this unit we will cover all kinds of interesting ideas, but we’ll start by looking at the structure and properties of water. This site has a ton of information on water. This is another good one. These videos are useful to help you understand both the structure and the properties. One. Two. Three. Four.
Now try and answer these questions:-
- Why are water molecules considered to be sticky? Can you give examples of where this is useful in nature?
- How can insects like pondskaters walk on water? [See picture] Or how can this lizard run on water?
- Why can fish survive in a pond during the winter when the pond freezes over?
- Water is a very good solvent. This means it dissolves many substances. What makes it so good as a solvent?
- Water is used to transport substances in our body. Give the names of 2 liquids in our bodies that contain water, and say what they dissolve.
- Why do we cool down when we sweat?