OK – this is the next-to-last section of the syllabus before we begin our options. Here are some of the key points we’ll learn:
- What is excretion? (And what isn’t)
- How to draw and label a diagram of the kidney.
- What a nephron is, how to annotate a diagram of one to help explain the processes of ultrafiltration and reabsorption.
- What is osmoregulation, and what role do hormones play in it?
- What are the differences between concentrations of various components in blood and urine, and the reasons for those differences.
We’ll again use this wonderful presentation from Mr S Taylor as well as our textbooks. In addition, once we’ve completed this topic, you could watch this video. It’s a little complicated, so I wouldn’t recommend watching it at the start, but after we’ve covered some of the theory.
Another useful review powerpoint from Mr Hobbins: 11.3 The Kidney